1. Fashion Photography:
This genre of photography is one of the most lucrative kinds. Photographs are one of the most effective ways of communication in the world of fashion. Here, photography is used to bring attention to the clothes and the accessories. Models are exclusively selected to showcase products in the best way possible. Fashion photographers today create the particular look, either in natural environment or one that is created in the studio. Often, these fashionable photographs find their way in the leading fashion magazines. These magazines cater to the niche crowd that loves to know the best in clothing and other fashion accessories.
2. Glamor Photography:
Glamor photography is also about fashionable visuals, however with a touch of difference. Glamor photography highlights the model in a different light rather than laying emphasis on the clothing or accessories. Often, nude images are also a part of glamor photography. These can be found on the covers of magazines like ʻPlayboyʼ.
3. Advertising Photography:
Advertising photography is all about creating the right environment to highlight the product to be advertised in the best way possible. The photographers generally come up with ideas or visuals or at times, design houses also brief photographers with the concept required in order to obtain the specific results. These photographs are always planned in co-ordination with the advertising firm.
4. Still Life Photography:
Still life photography is all about capturing objects on camera that are deliberately grouped together to create a particular composition. This form of art requires the photographer to have an excellent sense of composition and lighting. A photographer in this case can create different textures and use objects that add interest to an otherwise normal composition.
5. Wedding Photography:
Wedding photography is a specialized field of this art form, which is dedicated to snapping the most memorable moments in various creative ways. A photographer can take his/her own approach towards this subject. While some prefer the traditional ʻposedʼ ways, there are others who base their photographs purely on the actual moment. Photographers can also make these pictures fashionable with particular themes if agreeable with the client. There are many cases where such glamorous wedding photographs are captured especially in the studio. Today, many people are willing to explore new ideas, which open up many new creative avenues for experts in wedding photography.
6. Fine Art Photography:
Fine art photography is all about visuals that resemble a work of art. These are highly creative images that have an abstract appeal. Therefore, these photographs can be equivalent to an artistʼs expression on canvas. This genre of photography is not restricted for commercial purposes but could be used for creative pursuits as well. A fine art photographer should have the ability to look beyond the obvious settings.
7. Nature Photography:
Nature photographers are very much sought-after by media houses. Works of these creative geniuses can be seen in magazines like ʻNational Geographicʼ. Nature photography encompasses various other types of photography, such as-
8. Landscape Photography:
These photographs mainly highlight the natural beauty of any place. It includes areas of wilderness, deserts, mountains or even waterfalls.
9. Underwater Photography: Underwater photography is an interesting art form that explores a whole new world beneath the deep blue seas. Itʼs an extremely challenging task because a photographer should be equipped with all the knowledge about swimming and scuba diving to capture the best images while swimming in the blue waters!
10. Seascape Photography: Capturing nature in her many moods would be interesting for all lovers of the environment. A photographer who is dedicated completely to seascape photography should always lie in wait for the beauty of the sea to unfold. Here the concentration is mainly on capturing various moods of the ocean, at different times of the day or even seasons!
11. Cloudscape Photography: This genre of photography is completely dedicated to capturing various images of the cloud formations. Black and white photography in particular can be creatively used for this branch of photography.
12. Travel Photography: Travel photography involves capturing images of a particular landscape or even people from different countries. A photographer who is dedicated to this type of photography captures various traditions and customs of a place.
13. Architectural Photography: Architectural photography, as the name suggests, is all about the capturing images of different styles of architecture in different lights. This type of photography would require the photographers to be an expert in the technical, as well as the visual department.
14. Portrait Photography: Portrait photography is all about capturing the mood of a person with an emphasis on the face and expression of a person. This style of photography need not only be about professional models, it can encompass any kind of a person. Family portrait photographs are very much in demand but this does not mean itʼs all about a basic snapshot. There are many creative ways a photographer can use to make a portrait photograph look equally stunning!
15. Photojournalism: Photojournalism is all about telling a story about a particular event or incident through a single photograph. This genre of photography is used mainly by publications to represent the latest news. In this case, the photographerʼs visuals and the writerʼs story should compliment each other. For example, if a writer is making a specific mention of a particular location in the story, the photographer can find innovative ways to capture the same on camera. Photojournalism can be further classified into –
16. Documentary photography: Here, the photographer has to present an image that best represents the incident being spoken of in true form. In this case, press photographers usually submit their images to the concerned publication but in recent times, press photographers from all over the world often display these at exhibitions as well.
17. Street Photography: This is all about capturing candid images of public places or even people in their natural element. A photographer in this case requires the knack to mingle between people and capture the best frames without being conscious of people around. Henri Cartier-Bresson used the technique of wrapping the camera inside his handkerchief. Of course, one also has to consider the legal issues, as there are many places where this type of photography is prohibited for security reasons.
18. Sports Photography: This genre of photography is dedicated completely to capturing the best images in action, for any kind of sports. A photographer in this case should have the knack to capture stunning images on camera with great speed. There are many photographers who have dedicated themselves completely to this segment. These photographs are mainly used by publishing houses and other branches of media.
19. Candid Photography: Henri Cartier-Bresson is one of the first names that crops up in oneʼs mind when it comes to candid photography. This can be said to be one of the purest forms of photography, which does not include any staged situations. Candid photography is all about being spontaneous!
20. Forensic Photography: Also known as crime scene photography, here the job of the photographer is mainly to capture images for an accurate representation of the scene of crime. Here, a photographer will have to cover all the possible angles of the particular scene for investigation purposes. These images could be about any scene of crime or even accidents.
21. Macro Photography: This style of photography is completely about close-up images of the particular subject. This style is used particularly to capture details of organisms or nature that may not be visible to the naked eye.
22. Headshot Photography: This type of photography focuses mainly on the personʼs face (mug shots) but is different from portrait photography. The images in this case are plainer in nature as the client would need to use these images purely for work purposes.
23. Food Photography: Food photography is mainly in demand due to the rising needs from the advertising industry and publishing houses. It is the photographerʼs skill that is required to make the group of objects look very interesting and appealing to the viewer.
24. Child Photography : In this case, the photographer should definitely have a knack to handle children to capture their best moods and moments! These types of photographs are used for advertising purposes or even for personal reasons.
25. Black and White Photography: With the advent of color photography, black and white photography would have been passé. However, this is a medium that offers vast options for photographers. The timeless appeal of black and white photography can be used for any topic. Photographers in this case would need to use lighting and textures apart from composition and latest techniques to be rewarded with beautiful visuals.
26. Digital Photography: Digital photography is all about photographers opting for the digital cameras over the traditional ways to click images that are faster to transmit. However, there are many photographers who still prefer to use film to digital cameras for better clarity and representation of light and dark.
27. Night Photography: Photographers in this case completely specialize in night scenes. Due to the problem of minimum light, new techniques are being incorporated. A photographer can use artificial light or even a long exposure to capture clear and precise images.